Thursday, July 8, 2010

Mystic Music To Set The Mood

A Record Review

I was at a yoga workshop when I first heard Jai Hanuman. The song started with the sound of dolphins singing as water pushes against a shore. By the time the instruments came in, I was no longer sitting on the on the cold hard wood floor surrounded by a hundred other yogi's. I had been transported to a place beyond the relative world of time and space. I felt my heart open in a way that only great art can initiate. I fell in love with the song and knew I had to hear more.

The artists, Shaman's Dream Music Collective, has been described as "a group of musicians, artists, and producers dedicated to creating peace and unity through music, dance, art and ritual. Be it yoga, meditation, ecstatic dance or just the act of daily living, the music of Shaman's Dream is an ideal accompaniment that supports the path towards wellness and joy."

The album is called Kerala Dream. It is 71 minutes of undulating beauty that infuses environmental sounds, rich ambient textures, and gentle pulsing down tempo rhythms. The vocals are both exotic and familiar at the same time. These layers entwine with flutes, sitar, bass, and hand drums to invoke a state of inspired introspection. I use this album to set the mood for all types of yogic practices, massage, and anytime I want to feel soft, open, and creative.

For more information, check out Shaman's Dream Music Collective's website. To purchase Kerala Dream, please use the I Recommend widget in the right hand column this blog ! Enjoy!

No comments: